Just like delayed cord clamping.
I hadn't even heard the term until I researched. And planning a natural birth makes you research a lot! (Women who are having a natural birth or not should research no matter what! There are so many options out there for us that are better then what society just thinks is the norm)
I cant remember the first place I heard or read about it. But I know the first time I did read about it, my mind was instantly made up. And I seriously don't know why any mother would NOT do this. Or why it isn't just regular practice for every single delivery. That blows my mind.
Most OBs are just SO quick to deliver the baby, clamp the cord, cut the cord and whisk the baby away. That is NOT how it should be. (And I am talking about if there are absolutely NO complications with mom and baby. Any genius could figure out that if there are complications there are reasons why baby would need to be looked at right after delivery)
![]() |
Unclamped cord over the course of 15 minutes.
photo nurturingheartsbirthservices.com |
So how does Delayed Cord Clamping work?
Once the baby is born, they remain attached to the cord. The cord is not clamped or cut – it is simply left to transfer the remainder of the baby’s blood from the placenta through to the baby’s body. The majority of the blood is transferred in the first 5-15 minutes after birth, although there are different variables (location of placenta, type of birth, temperature) which can cause the blood to transfer in different time frames. The pulsations in the umbilical cord are caused by the baby’s heartbeat, and once these have ceased, it means the placental circulation has ceased and the cord can be clamped and cut.
During this time the mother can hold the baby and bond and rest after the birth. If the delivery was natural, the cord clamping can be delayed till the placenta is delivered if the birth attendant is happy to do so.
The umbilical cord is made of a substance called Wharton’s Jelly. This amazing jelly, when exposed to the changes in temperature outside the womb, is designed to clamp the cord naturally once all the blood has been transferred to the infant. As shown in the images below, the cord naturally goes limp and white after the blood transfer is complete.
![]() |
| Seriously amazing! |
So if the cord is immediately clamped and cut like most doctors will do, all of that blood that should have gone to your baby doesn't.
How is it beneficial to your baby?
Delaying cord clamping increases your baby’s iron stores, lowers the risk of anaemia and asthma and decreases complications following birth.
Some sources also say it also lowers the risk of autism, cerebral palsy, hypovolemia, hypotension, ischemia, shock, shock lung, respiratory distress, oliguria, hypoglycemia, ischemic encephalopathy, mental retardation; neural, behavioral and developmental disorders.
During the trip down the birth canal, a large portion of the baby’s blood is stored in the placenta so the baby can more easily make the trip down the small space and can conform its shape as needed. Once the baby is born, they receive a much needed natural transfusion of blood from the placenta, rich with oxygen, stem cells and iron.
If I haven't convinced you yet, what more can I do!!?? ;)



Thank you for this post! I had been wanting to read up on this for baby #2, and you have pretty much convinced me its a thing worth looking into :)
ReplyDeleteWeebabyschmitt.blogspot.com