I went up to my local cloth diaper store (I cant remember when.. maybe two weeks) to talk to the owner about why I was having issues with my cloth diapers getting wet on the leg holes when Jaxon would pee in them..
I noticed that he was getting a diaper rash before then but didn't think it was of concern other then just a normal rash that would go away... I wanted her to watch me put his cloth diaper on to see if I was putting them on right due to the leaking. I told her to look at his rash and she instantly knew what it was. She said 'Oh.. that looks like yeast. You are gonna need to get rid of that and strip your diapers.'
I was like great.. another wall to climb. She gave me some info about it and I came straight home and got on my computer and started reading and watching YouTube videos about this rash.
Holy crap.. so much information. But I knew I wanted to try to treat his yeast rash naturally rather then take him to the doctor and get medicine. I know, I make it harder for myself. BUT naturally is the better way. And when you do things this way you learn SO MUCH!
So back to disposable diapers until this is completely cleared up.
That night we go to Wal-Mart. I buy coconut oil and lotrimin. I read that I shouldn't use disposable wipes either but didn't listen to that advice just yet.
Supposed to give him lots of diaper free time also. Airing his diaper parts out is good. I aslo put baking soda in his baths. And sometimes throw in a spoonful of coconut oil in there also.
I alternate between the coconut oil and lotrimin with diaper changes. This is what his rash looks like when we started
You have to completely stop putting cloth diapers on him because the yeast lives in the cloth and you will just keep exposing him to the yeast instead of getting rid of it. You have to strip your cloth diapers which is a longer more detailed wash routine. Also have to strip anything that has come in contact with the yeast like towels wash cloths etc.
Well after a couple weeks the rash has gone away a lot. But there is still a light spot where the worst spot is in that picture that just wont go away. So I finally gave the Pediatrician a call this morning and asked her to give us the prescription of Nystatin cream. I didn't want to have to schedule an appointment since I knew exactly what the rash was and what medicine is used to treat it. But they wouldn't give my the prescription :/ They just told me to get some Monistat, which was next on my list, and to go to the pharmacy and ask for something else but now I cant remember what it was.
I also decided to stop using baby wipes because I know it wasn't helping. I think all of the chemicals in those was irritating the rash. So I bought a fleece baby blanket from Wal-Mart and cut it up into wipes and just used those and warm water on his bum.
I am now exclusively using cloth wipes and make my own wipe solution. I will do a separate post on that :)
So I'm praying that this rash goes completely away soon so I can get back into cloth diapers :( I hate using these disposables. It makes me cringe seeing all the diapers we have to throw away and that are just gonna sit in a landfill. Its disgusting.

No comments:
Post a Comment