Friday, January 2, 2015

File Cabinet Makeover

We got a much needed file cabinet for Christmas from my mom.
It sits under the desk in a main part of our house so I knew I wanted to give a little sprucing up so it's not such an eye sore. Here's how I did it!
 
 
Of course I start with pinterest for ideas. Then head to hobby lobby to pick my fabric.
It was between these two.. I really liked both. I got a yard and that was plenty of fabric.
 
Next we had to figure out how to take out the drawers. We had to wing it, but we figured it out and it was simple!
 
Also remember to remove all the hardware. Luckily my handles just popped out and me and my husband figured out how to take the lock out.

 
I just threw this together real fast. I put foil on a dinner tray to put the modge podge on the fabric. Just to contain the mess it could possibly make.
 
I laid the fabric out on the floor so I could cut my square piece.
 
Put the drawer on top of the fabric to measure around it. I went a little over an inch out on each side so I could wrap the fabric on the sides.
 
I used a razor to cut around it. It was easier for me to use than scissors. My scissors were not sharp enough..  
 
I put a coat of modge podge on the back side of the fabric. All over it.
 
Carefully laid the fabric over the drawer and pulled it so the design was as center as possible. Then used an old credit card to seal and smooth. Press the fabric over the edges also.
 
Both drawers now have the fabric modge podge'd on so I let them sit and dry for about an hour. Notice I have not cut out the holes for handles, etc. Definitely wait until it is dry before doing that.
  
 After it dried for a little while, I decided to put a layer of modge podge over the fabric also. So it would seal it more. I'm not sure if you HAVE to do this. I just felt I should.
I did notice that this layer over the fabric made it feel really rough (a slight sandpaper feel). But who will be rubbing on it? ;) Lol so it wasn't a big deal to me.
 
(The modge podge dries clear. So on the left side you can see where I had started to apply it and the right side didn't have any on it yet) Just a thin coat
NOTE: Before I applied the top coat I cut off the access fabric..
 
 
 
Once they were dry I started on the holes for the handles and the lock hole. This was the hardest part because my handles wouldn't snap into place with any bit of fabric in the way. So I used my razor and cut as close as I could.
 
Finally got it. It wasn't perfect but you can't see it with the handle on and not being an inch away from it :)
 
See.. not perfect but good enough.
 
Close up of the lock. Cutting this hole was very tedious. My husband had to help me get it back in. Like the handle, any bit of fabric that was in the way was not letting it lock into place. But we got it and it looks perfect!
 
All done!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment